The latest update to Oracle’s Planning and Budget Cloud Service (PBCS) introduces the all new Financial Reporting Web Studio. The Cloud-based Financial reporting studio is a web alternative to the desktop install of Financial Reporting Studio. Oracle has confirmed the latest release has most of the functionality of the desktop version of Financial Reporting studio (FRS).
Let’s take a look and see what Financial Reporting Web Studio Looks like. You may access the studio by selecting Tools -> ‘Launch Reporting Web Studio…’ from the PBCS menu.
The web studio interface is a great departure from the aged UI of the desktop version. That being said, it is still very important to save your work early and often.
Here are some of the highlights of the web version of Financial Reporting Studio.
- There is no longer a need to re-install Financial Reporting Studio when Oracle releases an update to the Financial Reporting Server.
- Since the web version of FRS is on the Oracle Hyperion Workspace, Single Sign On (SSO) to build reports is much easier with less clicks to deploy the reporting studio. A good thing.
- Performance is better and the application is more responsive as compared to the desktop version. However, you company’s network speed will be a factor.
While the web version of FRS is a great option for building reports, there are some limitations to functionality.
- The ‘Annotation’ search feature of FRS does not work.
- In some cases, you will receive the ‘ReportStoreObject is null’ error when clicking ‘OK’ after viewing or updating the Grid Point of View Setup in Financial Reporting Web Studio. To avoid this error, you will need to open a view and update the Grid Point of View Setup in Financial Reporting Studio desktop client.
Give it a try and let me know what you think of Oracle’s Financial Reporting Web Studio. For the next blog , I will do a step-by-step share on how to create a report using the new tool.
About Nvelup Consulting
Based in the Pacific Northwest, Nvelup Consulting is a minority-owned technology driven solutions consulting firm dedicated to helping companies achieve their strategic planning, forecasting and reporting & analysis goals by providing technology services and solutions that are efficient, scalable, and solve complex business problems. Nvelup Consulting was founded by executives with a an average of more than twenty years’ experience in finance, accounting, and business strategy systems integration. Nvelup implements performance management and business intelligence software solutions using Agile guiding principles allowing companies to adapt to organizational changes in corporate environments during the implementation process. Nvelup Consultants have years of business and technology experience, are certified in their area of expertise and provides services and solutions using best industry practices.